ERM is seeking a motivated Environmental Scientist to join our global consulting firm as a Consulting Associate in our growing Capital Project Delivery (CPD) team in the Gulf Business Unit (Baton Rouge, New Orleans or Houston). In this role, you will work closely with ERM Project Managers on a variety of environmental permitting, due diligence, and impact assessment projects to support our renewable energy, oil and gas, power, and technology sector clients.
The ideal candidate will have a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in the environmental sciences, or biology/ecology, or similar discipline. You will have the opportunity develop your technical report writing, data management, and field safety skills, and travel to project sites to perform wetland delineations, protected species assessments, and other types of field studies.
As a consultant at ERM, you will gain a wealth of experience across different sectors, clients, geographies and services. ERM's collaborative culture and nationwide network of experts provides knowledge sharing of best practices and ongoing learning opportunities for our consultants, allowing you to build your own individualized career path.
- Perform project delivery activities including field surveys, sampling, and inspections, collecting and organizing field survey data, performing research/ literature reviews, writing field notes and reports.
- Assist with wetland delineations and onsite protected species habitat assessments and surveys, including using electronic data collection with sub-meter accurate GPS, and conduct post-survey data/management and analysis.
- Provide technical assistance on a wide range of capital infrastructure and other projects including, environmental due diligence services, habitat assessments, wetland delineations and reports, Phase I Environmental Site Assessments, and other related environmental documents.
- Conduct tasks related to environmental assessments that include but are not limited to land use planning/facility siting, renewable energy desktop and field-based environmental assessments and reporting, pipeline and/or transmission line routing studies, and development of permit matrices and risk assessments.
- Assist in preparation of project-specific compliance management plans in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local requirements.
- Perform multi-media permitting and compliance documentation with an emphasis on U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, National Marine Fisheries Service, and various state and local agencies.
- Work within quality/budget/schedule expectations and scope-specific assignments.
- Support ERM Partners-in-Charge and Project Managers to deliver exceptional client value on projects.
- Work as an integral part of the Capital Project Delivery team and support the goals of the team.
- Bachelors and/or master's degree in environmental science, biology, natural resources, planning, or related discipline.
- At least 1 year of relevant environmental experience or professional internships.
- Strong commitment to safety, and ability to work safely outdoors in variable weather conditions and in challenging terrain.
- Willingness and desire to support field assignments as needed for extended periods of time. Familiarity with field survey techniques and wetland delineations highly desired, including working knowledge of sub-meter accuracy GPS technologies and map interpretation skills (e.g., NWI, USGS, aerial photography).
- Travel may be up to 30% of the time.
- Detail-oriented with excellent critical thinking and troubleshooting/problem-solving skills.
- Effective written/verbal communication and organization/analytical skills.
- Strong technical report writing skills. Experience recording/writing detailed technical data and reports and building tables and spreadsheets (including tabulation and manipulation of data).
- Ability to multi-task, maintain flexibility, and work independently with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrated attributes to become a strong consultant – team player, eagerness to learn and grow, self-starter who takes initiative, versatile, and client service-oriented mentality.
- Highly organized with keen eye for detail, but with the ability to maintain the big picture.
- High level proficiency in Microsoft Office programs. Proficiency with GIS software highly desired.
- Valid driver’s license and good driving record.
- Ability to pass pre-hire background check and drug test.
Who We Are:
As the largest global pure play sustainability consultancy, we partner with the world’s leading organizations, creating innovative solutions to sustainability challenges and unlocking commercial opportunities that meet the needs of today while preserving opportunity for future generations.
At ERM we know that creating a diverse, equitable and inclusive work environment is an essential part of making our company a great place to build a career. We also see our diversity as a strength that helps us create better solutions for our clients. Our diverse team of world-class experts supports clients across the breadth of their organizations to operationalize sustainability, underpinned by our deep technical expertise in addressing their environmental, health, safety, risk and social issues. We call this capability our “boots to boardroom” approach for its comprehensive service model that allows ERM to develop strategic and technical solutions that advance objectives on the ground or at the executive level.
Please submit your resume and brief cover letter. Based on review of these responses, shortlisted candidates will be invited for interviews.
ERM does not accept recruiting agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, ERM employees or any other company location. ERM is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
ERM is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Thank you for your interest in ERM!